Probability means a chance of something happening.
See the statements below:
It will probably be a cold day today.
Most probably, Daniel will score 80% in his Math test.
There is a chance that my sister visits me today.
In all the statements above, there is a statement of uncertainty because words like “probably”, “most probably”, “chance” indicate that the event may or may not happen.
Example: When a coin is tossed, there are two possibilities – head or tail.
Probability of getting a head =
Probability of getting a tail =
Example: When a die is thrown, it can show a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6.
Probability of getting a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 =
Probability of an event is the number of ways an event can occur divided by the total number of possible outcomes.
Example: What is the probability of spinner landing on pink region?
In all there are 8 parts in the spinner.
So, probability of spinner landing on pink part =
- There are 4 green, 3 yellow and 2 red marbles in a bag. What is the probability of picking a green marble
- Shannon has 5 white erasers and 3 green erasers. What is the probability of picking a white eraser if he picks up any eraser randomly?
- When a die is thrown, what is the probability of getting an odd number?
- What is the probability of spinner landing on 4?
- What is the probability of picking a red card from a deck of 52 cards?
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. Come to eTutorWorld for Expert Tutors and best K-12 Online Tutoring Services in the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost. Find a tutor online for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. Get free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and SCAT Practice Tests. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
© 2018 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved