Probability means a chance of something happening.
See the statements below:
It will probably be a cold day today.
Most probably, Daniel will score 80% in his Math test.
There is a chance that my sister visits me today.
In all the statements above, there is a statement of uncertainty because words like “probably”, “most probably”, “chance” indicate that the event may or may not happen.
Example: When a coin is tossed, there are two possibilities – head or tail.
Probability of getting a head =
Probability of getting a tail =
Example: When a die is thrown, it can show a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6.
Probability of getting a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 =
Probability of an event is the number of ways an event can occur divided by the total number of possible outcomes.
Example: What is the probability of spinner landing on pink region?
In all there are 8 parts in the spinner.
So, probability of spinner landing on pink part =
- There are 4 green, 3 yellow and 2 red marbles in a bag. What is the probability of picking a green marble
- Shannon has 5 white erasers and 3 green erasers. What is the probability of picking a white eraser if he picks up any eraser randomly?
- When a die is thrown, what is the probability of getting an odd number?
- What is the probability of spinner landing on 4?
- What is the probability of picking a red card from a deck of 52 cards?