Tools, Measurement and SI Units – Grade 7 Science Worksheets
The package has 5 free Worksheets & 34 Premium Worksheets with 15 questions each.
Measurements: Different parts of the World use different units of measurement. Units of measurement are important for of all physical quantity. Just like all objects are addressed by some name, physical quantities are known by the units of measurement. For example a piece of wire length is 3 meters.
1m or 1 meter is considered to be the usual standard of measuring. So , the wire of length is 3m more than the standard unit.
Here we understand that meter is the standard of measurement and the number 3 is the how lengthy the wire is.
Qualities of the Units of Measurement
The units of measurement should be:
- Physical quantity should be invariable. This means that it is not affected by any time or location. It remains the same everywhere. So, 3m wire is 3m wire everywhere every time. It’s constant.
- It should be understandable. It should be definitely easily accessible.
- All measuring units must be accepted universally in all nations.
Fundamental or Basic Units of Measurement
Like all human beings and things have names to be addressed, in the same way physical quantities also are addressed with respect to unit of measurement. They are fundamental quantities.
Derived Units of Measurement
Derived physical quantities are those that are dependent on the fundamental quantities
For instance length of a rope is a physical quantity; quantity of milk is a physical quantity. It is not dependent on any other factor.
On the other hand derived units are dependent on some other factor like speed of a motor bike is 20miles/ hour. So here we see the speed is dependent on distance and time taken.
Systems of Units of Measurement
There are a set of fundamental units followed in various regions of the world even though fundamental units by default are independent of factors.
Here are some fundamental systems of measurements:
- FPS (foot, pound, second) system:this system is used generally in Great Britain and the countries it colonized. Here length is foot, mass is pound, time in seconds.
- The CGS (centimeter, gram, second) system: In the CGS length is measured in centimeters, the mass of any item is measured in grams and time in seconds
- MKS (meter, kilogram, second) system: Here, the length is represented by meter, for mass it is kilogram and for time it is seconds.
- SI system: In SI system length is measured in meter, mass in kilogram and time in seco The SI system or the International system of standards is now the universal system of measurement. It is the advanced metric system of measurement.
Tools used for measuring:
- A balance is used to measure mass of an object.
- To measure length a meter stick is used.
- A graduated cylinder is used to measure volume of liquids
- Force is measured by a spring balance.
Fill in the blanks:
- Units of ……………………. are important for of all physical quantity.
- Physical quantity should be ……………………..
- All measuring units must be accepted ………………………. in all nations.
- The SI system or the …………………….. ……………… of standards is now the universal system of measurement.
- A graduated cylinder is used to measure the ………… of liquids
- International system