Get it Right & Show off your Scores!!
There are two areas of English that are of utmost importance and a student is assessed for:
- Usage/Mechanics—punctuation, grammar and usage, and sentence structure
- Rhetorical Skills—understanding the use of strategy, organization, and style in writing
The right approach towards preparing for an English Test – be it a class test or any standardized test is the key to better scores. Tips to study right and learn right will help you do well on all those tricky questions.
- Focus! Focus! & Focus!
- Read and read and read! Practice is the key!
- Guess the meaning by context and use it too!
- Note down new words!
- Take a break! Play scrabble! Boggle or Crossword puzzle!
- Connection counts!
- Find the right link!
- Say it aloud!
- Analogy is comparison
- As load is to baggage
- Link is to analogy!!
3. Reading for comprehension
- Focus on the title
- Immerse yourself with the topic
- Skim for info
- Scan for answers
- Transfer the answers
4. Completing sentences (vocabulary)
5. Correcting sentences: (choosing the right phrase)
- Read all the choices aloud
- Check for the right (tense/ verb forms/ voice) expression!
- See if it sounds right!
- That’s your answer!
- Read in your mind
- Notice the shape of the letters
- Do not vocalize
- Do not read word for word
- Move your eyes
- Skim and scan
Also Think and Dream in English, it helps in formatting sentences correctly and build vocabulary.