Pre-Algebra Online Tutoring: Proportions
Math is an essential skill in our everyday life! Our math tutors realize this and hence guide their students towards a better understanding of the new terminologies and methods. With eTutorWorld expert and experienced Math tutors, math becomes not just easy, but a pleasure to learn and master. Each tutoring session is taught using state-of-the-art technology, a student centric approach, individualized teaching and assessments. Gift your child the eTutorWorld advantage and help her to not only master these valuable skills but also have the confidence required to succeed in grade school and beyond. Let your child learn from our highly experienced math tutors for all grades 3 to 12.
Learn about Proportions from Certified Online Pre-Algebra Tutor
A proportion is simply two ratios that are equivalent to each other. The missing element in a math problem is usually found by using Proportions.
It can be written in two ways:
Two equal fractions,
a/b = c/d
in colon notation, a: b = c: d
In a proportion,
Product of the means = Product of the extremes.
Means are the terms that are close together.
Extremes are the terms that are further apart.
Cross Product Property of Proportions:
When two ratios are equal, then the cross products of the ratios are equal.
That is, for the proportion,
a: b = c: d,
a x d = b x c
Means = Extremes
Let’s understand with an example:
1. Fill in the missing number to complete the proportion.
Write an equivalent fraction with 42 as the numerator
2. Harry read 30 medieval books over the course of 15 weeks .How many books would he have read in 20 weeks? Assume the relationship is directly proportional.
Use cross products to solve the problem
After 20 weeks, Harry would have read 40 medieval books.
- Fill in the missing number to complete the proportion 3/5 = x/75
- Fill in the missing number to complete the proportion 8/9= 120/y
- The Yankee candle making company can make 1600 candles in 4 minutes. How many candles can they make in 15 minutes?
- A writer can type 250 words in 100 seconds. At that rate, how many seconds would it take him to type 500 words?
- At the school summer camp the ratio of number of boys and girls is 7: 3. If there are 27 girls in the summer camp, find the number of boys in the summer camp and the total number of students in the summer camp.
- x = 45
- y= 135
- 6000 candles
- 200 seconds
- 63 boys ,90 students
Why Learn with eTutorWorld?
- Meet your online expert tutor from the comfort and safety of your home
- Schedule sessions at your convenient date and time
- Access recordings of sessions for a month from session date
- Receive a personalized practice sheet after every tutoring session
- Call/chat us on our 24 X 7 Support (+1.269.763.4602) to resolve issues or ask questions
- Experience the state-of-the-art technology by learning over LIVE tutoring sessions
- Get a 30 day Money Back Guarantee on our online tutoring services
No credit card, nor any obligation to purchase.
Schedule your FREE TRIAL session to meet an expert LIVE tutor & get all the help you want.
Online Tutoring and Worksheets Pricing
Our Learning by Design methodology focuses exclusively on individual students.
Our expert tutors are specially trained to identify and diagnose the needs and skills of each student and plan future tutoring lessons accordingly.
Know more about our Personalised Online Tutoring Packs.