Pre-Algebra Online Tutoring: Proportions
Math is an essential skill in our everyday life! Our math tutors realize this and hence guide their students towards a better understanding of the new terminologies and methods. With eTutorWorld expert and experienced Math tutors, math becomes not just easy, but a pleasure to learn and master. Each tutoring session is taught using state-of-the-art technology, a student centric approach, individualized teaching and assessments. Gift your child the eTutorWorld advantage and help her to not only master these valuable skills but also have the confidence required to succeed in grade school and beyond. Let your child learn from our highly experienced math tutors for all grades 3 to 12.
Learn about Proportions from Certified Online Pre-Algebra Tutor
A proportion is simply two ratios that are equivalent to each other. The missing element in a math problem is usually found by using Proportions.
It can be written in two ways:
Two equal fractions,
a/b = c/d
in colon notation, a: b = c: d
In a proportion,
Product of the means = Product of the extremes.
Means are the terms that are close together.
Extremes are the terms that are further apart.
Cross Product Property of Proportions:
When two ratios are equal, then the cross products of the ratios are equal.
That is, for the proportion,
a: b = c: d,
a x d = b x c
Means = Extremes
Let’s understand with an example:
1. Fill in the missing number to complete the proportion.
Write an equivalent fraction with 42 as the numerator
2. Harry read 30 medieval books over the course of 15 weeks .How many books would he have read in 20 weeks? Assume the relationship is directly proportional.
Use cross products to solve the problem
After 20 weeks, Harry would have read 40 medieval books.
- Fill in the missing number to complete the proportion 3/5 = x/75
- Fill in the missing number to complete the proportion 8/9= 120/y
- The Yankee candle making company can make 1600 candles in 4 minutes. How many candles can they make in 15 minutes?
- A writer can type 250 words in 100 seconds. At that rate, how many seconds would it take him to type 500 words?
- At the school summer camp the ratio of number of boys and girls is 7: 3. If there are 27 girls in the summer camp, find the number of boys in the summer camp and the total number of students in the summer camp.
- x = 45
- y= 135
- 6000 candles
- 200 seconds
- 63 boys ,90 students
Why eTutorWorld ?
- Learn at any time and from anywhere through unique personal lesson plans
- Experience the extensive use of online resources and state-of-the-art technology
- Enjoy one-on-one live personalized coaching
- Navigate your homework with ease and learn advanced topics
Find out how eTutorWorld can help you improve your Grades.
No credit card is required, nor are you under any obligation to make a purchase. Just schedule the FREE TRIAL lesson to meet a tutor & get help on any topic you want!
Our Learning by Design methodology focuses exclusively on the individual student. Our tutors are specially trained to identify and diagnose the needs and interests of each student and plan lessons accordingly.
Find more about our Personalized Online Tutoring Learning Packages.
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. Come to eTutorWorld for Expert Tutors and best K-12 Online Tutoring Services in the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost. Find a tutor online for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. Get free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and SCAT Practice Tests. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
© 2018 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved