Surface Area of Cubes and Rectangular Prisms
Grade 6 Math Worksheets
How do you find the total surface area of a rectangular box?
A rectangular prism where all the sides are the same is a cube.
The surface area of a prism is the total sum of the areas of all its side faces. Representing a solid in two-dimensional form is called a net.
Surface area is the total area of all surfaces on a 3 – dimensional shape.
Cuboids or rectangular prisms have 6 rectangular faces.
We mark the length l, width w, and height h of the prism and use the formula,
Area of top and bottom face = 2 lw
Area of right and left side face = 2hw
Area of front and back face = 2hl
Example: Find the surface area of prism shown in the figure.
S = 2lw + 2lh + 2wh
= 2(3)(5) + 2(3)(6) + 2(5)(6)
= 30 + 36 + 60
= 126 square inches
Example: Find the surface area of an aquarium of dimensions 10 cm, 8 cm and 5 cm.
Formula for Surface area = 2lw + 2lh + 2wh
= 2.10.5 + 2.10.8 + 2.8.5
= 340 cm²
How do you find the surface area of a cube?
When all sides in a rectangular prism are equal, it is a cube. So, each face is a square.
A cube has 6 square faces.
In a cube all sides are equal so we calculate the surface area by 6 × side²
Example: Calculate the surface area of a cube of side 4 mm
Surface area of a cube = 6 × side²
= 6 × 4²
= 96 mm²
- Find the surface area of a rectangular wooden TV unit of length 18 cm, width 5 cm, height, 6 cm.
- Find the surface area of this cube.
- Aurora wants to calculate the surface area of a carton box which she needs to wrap. Length of the box is 7 cm, width is 5 cm, and 2 cm is the height.
- Find the surface area of a rectangular tube if the length, width, and height are as follows:
- Which of the following ice cubes will melt faster? “A” which measures 3 mm, 2 mm, 1 mm or “B” the other measures 2 mm, 1.5 mm, 1.3 mm. Calculate the surface area for both (Hint: the more is the surface area, the quicker it melts).
- What will be the surface area of cube with side 32 inches?
- 456 cm²
- 726 mm²
- 118 cm²
- 76 square inches
- A = 22 cm², B = 15.1 cm² A is the ice cube which will melt faster, due to larger surface area.
- 6,144 square inches
Personalized Online Tutoring
eTutorWorld offers affordable one-on-one live tutoring over the web for Grades 2-12, Test Prep help for Standardized tests like SCAT, CogAT, SSAT, SAT, ACT, ISEE and AP. You may schedule online tutoring lessons at your personal scheduled times, all with a Money-Back Guarantee. The first one-on-one online tutoring lesson is always FREE, no purchase obligation, no credit card required.
For answers/solutions to any question or to learn concepts, take a FREE Demo Session.
No credit card required, no obligation to purchase.
Just schedule a FREE Sessions to meet a tutor and get help on any topic you want!
Pricing for Online Tutoring
|Tutoring Package||Validity||Grade (1-12), College|
|5 sessions||1 Month||$129|
|1 session||1 Month||$26|
|10 sessions||3 months||$249|
|15 sessions||3 months||$369|
|20 sessions||4 months||$469|
|50 sessions||6 months||$1099|
|100 sessions||12 months||$2099|
IN THE NEWS
Our mission is to provide high quality online tutoring services, using state of the art Internet technology, to school students worldwide.
Terms of service
Money Back Guarantee
Connect with us
Online test prep and practice
Pre Calculus Tutoring
Sales Partner Opportunities
Our Expert Tutors
Safe and Secure Tutoring
Interactive Online Tutoring
After School Tutoring
Elementary School Tutoring
Middle School Tutoring
High School Tutoring
Home Work Help
Math Tutors New York City