Measuring Unit Worksheets (Tools, Measurement and SI Units)
Grade 7 Science Worksheets
Different parts of the world use different units of measurement. Units of measurement are important for of all physical quantity. Just like all objects are addressed by some name, physical quantities are known by the units of measurement. For example a piece of wire length is 3 meters.
1m or 1 meter is considered to be the usual standard of measuring. So , the wire of length is 3m more than the standard unit.
Here we understand that meter is the standard of measurement and the number 3 is the how lengthy the wire is.
Schedule a Free session to clear worksheet doubts
No credit card required, no obligation to purchase.
Just schedule a FREE Sessions to meet a tutor and get help on any topic you want!
Tools, Measurements and SI Units | Measuring Units Worksheet
Qualities of the Units of Measurement
The units of measurement should be:
- Physical quantity should be invariable. This means that it is not affected by any time or location. It remains the same everywhere. So, 3m wire is 3m wire everywhere every time. It’s constant.
- It should be understandable. It should be definitely easily accessible.
- All measuring units must be accepted universally in all nations.
Fundamental or Basic Units of Measurement
Like all human beings and things have names to be addressed, in the same way physical quantities also are addressed with respect to unit of measurement. They are fundamental quantities.
Derived Units of Measurement
Derived physical quantities are those that are dependent on the fundamental quantities
For instance length of a rope is a physical quantity; quantity of milk is a physical quantity. It is not dependent on any other factor.
On the other hand derived units are dependent on some other factor like speed of a motor bike is 20miles/ hour. So here we see the speed is dependent on distance and time taken.
Systems of Units of Measurement
There are a set of fundamental units followed in various regions of the world even though fundamental units by default are independent of factors.
Here are some fundamental systems of measurements:
- FPS (foot, pound, second) system:this system is used generally in Great Britain and the countries it colonized. Here length is foot, mass is pound, time in seconds.
- The CGS (centimeter, gram, second) system: In the CGS length is measured in centimeters, the mass of any item is measured in grams and time in seconds
- MKS (meter, kilogram, second) system: Here, the length is represented by meter, for mass it is kilogram and for time it is seconds.
- SI system: In SI system length is measured in meter, mass in kilogram and time in seco The SI system or the International system of standards is now the universal system of measurement. It is the advanced metric system of measurement.
Tools used for measuring:
- A balance is used to measure mass of an object.
- To measure length a meter stick is used.
- A graduated cylinder is used to measure volume of liquids
- Force is measured by a spring balance.
Learn more about Tools Measurement and SI Units and other important topics with 7th Grade Science Tutoring at eTutorWorld. Our expert science tutors break down the topics through interactive one-to-one sessions. We also offer the advantage of customized lesson plans, flexible schedules and convenience of learning from home.
eTutorWorld Understands Math Tutoring | Online Math Worksheets are Important Tools
Understanding graphs, charts, and opinion polls in a newspaper, for calculating house and car payments, and for choosing a long-distance telephone service are impossible without strong math skills …and the only way to develop strong math skills is by constant practice.
‘Practice makes a man perfect’ holds true for no other field better than for math. A middle or high school student must set aside a minimum of an hour for math every day. Other than textbooks, worksheets help you revise and understand concepts better.
Our expert tutors prepare online maths worksheets that are age and grade-appropriate. Grade-wise math worksheets for Elementary Math, Arithmetic, Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Statistics, Pre-Calculus and Calculus can be solved to improve math skills, to get ahead or to even catch up.
You may download these FREE online math worksheets in the PDF format, and then print and email us their solutions for a free evaluation and analysis by eTutorworld’smath expert tutors.
You may solve these worksheets by yourself or with your peers while studying together.
The Answer Key at the end of each worksheet allows for a self-evaluation.
Personalized Online Tutoring
eTutorWorld offers affordable one-on-one live tutoring over the web for Grades K-12, Test Prep help for Standardized tests like SCAT, CogAT, MAP, SSAT, SAT, ACT, ISEE and AP. You may schedule online tutoring lessons at your personal scheduled times, all with a Money-Back Guarantee. The first one-on-one online tutoring lesson is always FREE, no purchase obligation, no credit card required.
For answers/solutions to any question or to learn concepts, take a FREE CLASS.
No credit card required, no obligation to purchase.
Just book a free class to meet a tutor and get help on any topic you want!
Fill in the blanks:
- Units of ……………………. are important for of all physical quantity.
- Physical quantity should be ……………………..
- All measuring units must be accepted ………………………. in all nations.
- The SI system or the …………………….. ……………… of standards is now the universal system of measurement.
- A graduated cylinder is used to measure the ………… of liquids
- International system
What are SI units?
SI units, or the International System of Units, are a globally accepted standard for measurement. They provide a consistent and uniform system of measuring various quantities such as length, mass, time, temperature, and more. Examples of SI units include meters (m) for length, kilograms (kg) for mass, seconds (s) for time, and Kelvin (K) for temperature.
Why are tools important for measurement?
Tools are essential for accurate measurement. They help us gather data and quantify physical properties. Different tools are designed for specific measurements, such as rulers for length, balances for mass, thermometers for temperature, and timers for time. Using appropriate tools ensures precision and reliability in measurements.
How do you convert between different units of measurement?
Converting between units involves understanding the relationship between them. Conversion factors, such as conversion ratios or formulas, are used to convert from one unit to another. For example, to convert from kilometers to meters, you would multiply by 1,000, as there are 1,000 meters in one kilometer.
Why is it important to use standard units of measurement?
Standard units of measurement ensure consistency and facilitate communication across different fields and regions. Using standard units allows for accurate comparison of measurements and reliable exchange of information. It helps scientists, engineers, and researchers communicate effectively and make meaningful comparisons.
What are some common measurement errors?
Common measurement errors include human error, instrument limitations, and systematic errors. To minimize errors, it’s important to follow proper measurement techniques, use calibrated instruments, take repeated measurements, and analyze sources of potential error.
Pricing for Online Tutoring
|Grade (1-12), College