Online Pre-Algebra Tutoring: Rounding Numbers
Give your child the eTutorWorld advantage and help them to not only master valuable skills such as math but also have the confidence required to succeed in grade school and beyond. Let your child learn from our highly experienced math tutors for all grades 3 to 12. The math tutors at eTutorWorld are highly qualified and experts in their field, armed with certification and decades of tutoring experience.
Learn about Rounding Numbers from Certified Online Pre-Algebra Tutor.
General rule for rounding:
Rounding is kind of estimating it means making a number simpler but keeping its value close to what it was. When rounding a number, first we need know: what are we rounding it to? Numbers can be rounded to the nearest ten, the nearest hundred, the nearest thousand, and so on. Find your rounding digit and then look at the number right to it.
- If the number you are rounding is followed by a number 5 or greater than 5 that is 6, 7, 8, or 9, round the number up that is add one to the “rounding digit” and change all digits to the right of the rounding digit to zero.
- If the number you are rounding is followed by a number less than 5 that is 0,1,2,3,4 round the number down that is do not change the “rounding digit” but change all digits to the right of the “rounding digit” to zero.
a)What is 558 rounded to the nearest hundred?
Find the place you want to round. Look one place to the right. If the digit is less than 5, round down . If the digit is 5 or higher, round up. First, find the digit in the hundreds place. This is the place you want to round:
Now look one place to the right:
This number is a 5, so you will round up. First, replace all the digits to the right of the hundreds place by zeroes:
558 → 500
Now add 1 to the other part of the number:
500 → 600
b) What is 5,136 rounded to the nearest thousand?
Find the place you want to round. Look one place to the right. If the digit is less than 5, round down. If the digit is 5 or higher, round up.
First, find the digit in the thousands place. This is the place you want to round:
Now look one place to the right:
1 is less than 5, so you will round down. Replace all the digits to the right of the thousands place by zeroes:
5,136 → 5,000
- What is 1,893 rounded to the nearest hundred?
- What is 78 rounded to the nearest ten?
- What is 3,238 rounded to the nearest thousand?
- What is 8,672 rounded to the nearest hundred?
- What is 99 rounded to the nearest ten?
Why learn with eTutorWorld ?
- Meet your online expert tutor from the comfort of your home
- Schedule sessions at your convenient date and time
- Access recordings of sessions for a month from session date
- Receive a personalized practice sheet after every tutoring session
- Call/chat us on our 24 X 7 support (+1.269.763.4602) to resolve issues or ask questions
- Experience the state-of-the-art technology by learning over LIVE tutoring sessions
- Get a 30 day Money Back Guarantee on our online tutoring services
No credit card, nor any obligation to purchase.
Schedule your FREE TRIAL session to meet an expert LIVE tutor & get all the help you want.
Our Learning by Design methodology focuses exclusively on individual students.
Our expert tutors are specially trained to identify and diagnose the needs and skills of each student and plan future tutoring lessons accordingly.
Know more about our Personalised Online Tutoring Packs.
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. eTutorWorld provides the best K-12 Online Tutoring Services so you can learn from the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost.
Be it an exam, class test or a quiz, eTutorWorld’s Math, Science and English tutors are responsible for your academic progress. Meet your personal coach at your convenient day and time to get help for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. All our tutors are graduates and bring with them years of teaching experience to the tutoring lessons.
Our ‘Learning by Design’ methodology makes sure that each student is at the center of the teaching-learning process. All tutoring sessions start with a question to the student ‘What do you want to learn today?’ Hence, tutors diagnose your skills and recognize your requirements before the actual tutoring happens. Post every tutoring session, an individualized worksheet is emailed to the student to assimilate learned concepts. Regular formative assessments are used to evaluate a student’s understanding of the subject.
The state of the art technology used is stable, user friendly and safe. All you need is a computer or a tablet and an internet connection. The easy-to-use web conferencing software requires a one time download, using which the student can talk and chat to the tutor, annotate on an interactive shared whiteboard or even share documents, assignments or worksheets.
All tutoring sessions are recorded and made available for a month so you can review concepts taught.
Email or call our support team with any issues or questions – we are here for you 24X7.
Also, download free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and solve SCAT and SSAT Practice Tests online. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
Thousands have taken the eTutorWorld Advantage – what are you waiting for?
© 2020 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved