Online Pre-Algebra Tutoring: Rounding Numbers
Give your child the eTutorWorld advantage and help them to not only master valuable skills such as math but also have the confidence required to succeed in grade school and beyond. Let your child learn from our highly experienced math tutors for all grades 3 to 12. The math tutors at eTutorWorld are highly qualified and experts in their field, armed with certification and decades of tutoring experience.
Learn about Rounding Numbers from Certified Online Pre-Algebra Tutor.
General rule for rounding:
Rounding is kind of estimating it means making a number simpler but keeping its value close to what it was. When rounding a number, first we need know: what are we rounding it to? Numbers can be rounded to the nearest ten, the nearest hundred, the nearest thousand, and so on. Find your rounding digit and then look at the number right to it.
- If the number you are rounding is followed by a number 5 or greater than 5 that is 6, 7, 8, or 9, round the number up that is add one to the “rounding digit” and change all digits to the right of the rounding digit to zero.
- If the number you are rounding is followed by a number less than 5 that is 0,1,2,3,4 round the number down that is do not change the “rounding digit” but change all digits to the right of the “rounding digit” to zero.
a)What is 558 rounded to the nearest hundred?
Find the place you want to round. Look one place to the right. If the digit is less than 5, round down . If the digit is 5 or higher, round up. First, find the digit in the hundreds place. This is the place you want to round:
Now look one place to the right:
This number is a 5, so you will round up. First, replace all the digits to the right of the hundreds place by zeroes:
558 → 500
Now add 1 to the other part of the number:
500 → 600
b) What is 5,136 rounded to the nearest thousand?
Find the place you want to round. Look one place to the right. If the digit is less than 5, round down. If the digit is 5 or higher, round up.
First, find the digit in the thousands place. This is the place you want to round:
Now look one place to the right:
1 is less than 5, so you will round down. Replace all the digits to the right of the thousands place by zeroes:
5,136 → 5,000
- What is 1,893 rounded to the nearest hundred?
- What is 78 rounded to the nearest ten?
- What is 3,238 rounded to the nearest thousand?
- What is 8,672 rounded to the nearest hundred?
- What is 99 rounded to the nearest ten?
Why eTutorWorld ?
- Learn at any time and from anywhere through unique personal lesson plans
- Experience the extensive use of online resources and state-of-the-art technology
- Enjoy one-on-one live personalized coaching
- Navigate your homework with ease and learn advanced topics
Find out how eTutorWorld can help you improve your Grades.
No credit card is required, nor are you under any obligation to make a purchase. Just schedule the FREE TRIAL lesson to meet a tutor & get help on any topic you want!
Our Learning by Design methodology focuses exclusively on the individual student. Our tutors are specially trained to identify and diagnose the needs and interests of each student and plan lessons accordingly.
Find more about our Personalized Online Tutoring Learning Packages.
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. Come to eTutorWorld for Expert Tutors and best K-12 Online Tutoring Services in the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost. Find a tutor online for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. Get free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and SCAT Practice Tests. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
© 2018 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved