Online Pre-Algebra Tutoring: Fractions
Learn Fractions from Certified Online Pre-Algebra Tutor
A fraction is in its in lowest terms if the Greatest Common Factor (GCF), also called the Greatest Common Divisor (GCD), of the numerator and denominator is 1.
For example, 3/4 is in lowest terms but 9/12 is not.
A fraction is written in lowest terms when it uses the smallest possible numerator and denominator.
Steps to reduce fractions to lowest terms
1. Find the Greatest Common Factor (GCF) i.e. find the largest number that divides both the numerator and the denominator.
2. Divide both the numerator and the denominator by that number.
Let’s understand with an example:
Write 25/35 in lowest terms.
Find the Greatest Common Factor (GCF)
of 25 and 35
GCF = 5
We can reduce the fraction by dividing
the numerator and denominator by 5
and get our simplified answer
- Write 30/36 in lowest terms.
- Write 99/297 in lowest terms.
- Write 625/1125 in lowest terms.
- Rebecca loves oranges. Yesterday she bought 6 boxes that contained 2 dozen oranges each, and today she has only 20 left What fraction of her oranges did she eat? Reduce to lowest terms.
- Jojo uses 5 crayons on every picture she draws. If she starts with a box of 100 crayons and draws 10 pictures, what fraction of box of crayons will she be left with ?Reduce to lowest term.
- Rebecca ate 31/36 oranges
- Jojo will have 1/2 of box of crayons left with her.
Why eTutorWorld ?
- Learn at any time and from anywhere through unique personal lesson plans
- Experience the extensive use of online resources and state-of-the-art technology
- Enjoy one-on-one live personalized coaching
- Navigate your homework with ease and learn advanced topics
Find out how eTutorWorld can help you improve your Grades.
No credit card is required, nor are you under any obligation to make a purchase. Just schedule the FREE TRIAL lesson to meet a tutor & get help on any topic you want!
Our Learning by Design methodology focuses exclusively on the individual student. Our tutors are specially trained to identify and diagnose the needs and interests of each student and plan lessons accordingly.
Find more about our Personalized Online Tutoring Learning Packages.
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. Come to eTutorWorld for Expert Tutors and best K-12 Online Tutoring Services in the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost. Find a tutor online for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. Get free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and SCAT Practice Tests. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
© 2018 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved