Our math tutors recognize that math is a crucial life skill. With eTutorWorld expert and experienced Math tutors, our students analyze and understand math topics in innovative and easy-to-remember ways. Each tutoring session is taught using state-of-the-art technology, a student centric approach, individualized teaching and assessments. With just one free math tutoring lesson at eTutorWorld, you will be able to tell what a difference it will make to your child’s grades. Reach out and connect with a world-class math tutor at eTutorWorld today!
Learn about Ratios from Certified Online Pre-Algebra Tutor
What is the ratio in math?
A ratio gives the relative sizes of two sets but not the actual numbers of objects in those sets. For example, the fact that the ratio of blue marbles to red marbles in a box is 3 to 4 tells us that for every 3 blue marbles there are 4 red marbles; however, it does not tell us the number of blue or red marbles.
The order of terms in a ratio is important. Notice that in the expression “the ratio of blue marbles to red marbles,” “blue marbles” came first. This order is important: whichever word comes first; its number must come first as well. If the expression had been “the ratio of red marbles to blue marbles,” then the numbers would have been “4 to 3.”
Ratios are similar to fractions; they can both be simplified by finding common factors. Always try to divide by the highest common factor.
A ratio may be written as a: b or a/b or by the phrase “a to b”.
A ratio of 1:6 says that the second number is six times as large as the first.
What is a ratio example?
There are 25 girls and 15 boys in a class. What is the ratio of girls to boys? Give your answer in its simplest form.
The ratio of girls to boys is 25:15
However, both sides of this ratio are divisible by 5
Dividing by 5 gives 5:3
5 and 3 have no common factors (apart from 1).
So the simplest form of the ratio is 5:3
This means there are 5 girls in the class for every 3 boys.
- In a telephone poll, 88 people said they like watching basketball and 70 people said they do not like watching basketball. What is the ratio of the number of people who like watching basketball to the number of people who do not like watching basketball? Give your answer in its simplest form.
- A movie theater sold 62 child tickets. The other 96 tickets it sold were adult tickets. What is the ratio of the number of adult tickets to the number of child tickets? Give your answer in its simplest form.
- Anne’s Ice Cream Shop sold 52 sundaes with nuts and 39 sundaes without nuts. What is the ratio of the number of sundaes with nuts to the number of sundaes without nuts? Give your answer in its simplest form.
- There are 48 men and 102 women participating in a triathlon. What is the ratio of the number of women participating to the number of men participating? Give your answer in its simplest form.
- The sixth-graders at Alice’s school got to visit either the science museum or the history museum. 110 students picked the science museum and 115 students picked the history museum. What is the ratio of the number of sixth-graders who visited the history museum to the number of sixth-graders who visited the science museum? Give your answer in its simplest form.
Why eTutorWorld ?
- Learn at any time and from anywhere through unique personal lesson plans
- Experience the extensive use of online resources and state-of-the-art technology
- Enjoy one-on-one live personalized coaching
- Navigate your homework with ease and learn advanced topics
Find out how eTutorWorld can help you improve your Grades.
No credit card is required, nor are you under any obligation to make a purchase. Just schedule the FREE TRIAL lesson to meet a tutor & get help on any topic you want!
Our Learning by Design methodology focuses exclusively on individual students. Our Advanced SCAT tutors are specially trained to identify and diagnose the needs and skills of each student and plan future tutoring lessons accordingly.
Know more about our Personalised Online Tutoring Packs.
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. eTutorWorld provides the best K-12 Online Tutoring Services so you can learn from the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost.
Be it an exam, class test or a quiz, eTutorWorld’s Math, Science and English tutors are responsible for your academic progress. Meet your personal coach at your convenient day and time to get help for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. All our tutors are graduates and bring with them years of teaching experience to the tutoring lessons.
Our ‘Learning by Design’ methodology makes sure that each student is at the center of the teaching-learning process. All tutoring sessions start with a question to the student ‘What do you want to learn today?’ Hence, tutors diagnose your skills and recognize your requirements before the actual tutoring happens. Post every tutoring session, an individualized worksheet is emailed to the student to assimilate learned concepts. Regular formative assessments are used to evaluate a student’s understanding of the subject.
The state of the art technology used is stable, user friendly and safe. All you need is a computer or a tablet and an internet connection. The easy-to-use web conferencing software requires a one time download, using which the student can talk and chat to the tutor, annotate on an interactive shared whiteboard or even share documents, assignments or worksheets.
All tutoring sessions are recorded and made available for a month so you can review concepts taught.
Email or call our support team with any issues or questions – we are here for you 24X7.
Also, download free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and solve SCAT and SSAT Practice Tests online. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
Thousands have taken the eTutorWorld Advantage – what are you waiting for?
© 2019 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved