Slope & y-intercept of a Line
Since, we have already discussed the slope intercept form of
the equation of a line; we will now learn how to find the slope
& y-intercept for any given equation of line.
Recall that, the length of the intercept made by of a line on the
Y-axis is called its y-intercept & using Slope Intercept form the
equation of a line with slope or gradient m and making an
y-intercept of c units is given by y = mx + c.
If the equation of the given line is a x + by + d = 0.
We rewrite the given equation in the slope intercept form by taking the term containing, x & constant, d on the other side of the equation i.e. by = – a x – d or y = – d or y = +
& then compare this with y = mx + c we have slope m = & y intercept c=
Let us take a few examples.
- Find the slope & y-intercept of the line x+y=7.Here, we can rewrite the equation as y = – x + 7 = (-1)x + 7.Hence here slope m = (-1) & y-intercept, c = 7.
- Find the slope & y-intercept of the line 4x + 2y = 8.Here, we can rewrite the equation as 2y = – 4x + 8 = (-4)x + 8.or y = (-2)x + 4.Hence here slope m = (-2) & y-intercept, c = 4.
- Find the slope & y-intercept of the line 7x + 8y – 15 = 0.Here, we can rewrite the equation as 8y = –7x + 15 = (-7)x + (15). y= & y-intercept, c = .Hence here slope m = & y-intercept, c= .
- Here, we can rewrite the equation as y = (0)x + 0.Hence here slope, m = 0 & y-intercept, c = 0.Find the slope & y-intercept of the line y = 0.
- Find the slope & y intercept of the line x + y – 75 = 8.
- Find the slope & y intercept of the line 3x – 7y + 105 =0.
- Find the slope & y intercept of the line 10x + 2y =26.
- Find the slope & y intercept of the line 15x – 3y + 75 = 0.
- Find the slope & y intercept of the line 24x + 8y =96.
- Slope m = (-1), y-intercept = 83.
- Slope m = , y-intercept =15.
- Slope m = (-5), y-intercept =13.
- Slope m = 5, y-intercept =25.
- Slope m = (-3), y-intercept = 12.
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. eTutorWorld provides the best K-12 Online Tutoring Services so you can learn from the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost.
Be it an exam, class test or a quiz, eTutorWorld’s Math, Science and English tutors are responsible for your academic progress. Meet your personal coach at your convenient day and time to get help for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. All our tutors are graduates and bring with them years of teaching experience to the tutoring lessons.
Our ‘Learning by Design’ methodology makes sure that each student is at the center of the teaching-learning process. All tutoring sessions start with a question to the student ‘What do you want to learn today?’ Hence, tutors diagnose your skills and recognize your requirements before the actual tutoring happens. Post every tutoring session, an individualized worksheet is emailed to the student to assimilate learned concepts. Regular formative assessments are used to evaluate a student’s understanding of the subject.
The state of the art technology used is stable, user friendly and safe. All you need is a computer or a tablet and an internet connection. The easy-to-use web conferencing software requires a one time download, using which the student can talk and chat to the tutor, annotate on an interactive shared whiteboard or even share documents, assignments or worksheets.
All tutoring sessions are recorded and made available for a month so you can review concepts taught.
Email or call our support team with any issues or questions – we are here for you 24X7.
Also, download free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and solve SCAT and SSAT Practice Tests online. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
Thousands have taken the eTutorWorld Advantage – what are you waiting for?
© 2019 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved