In statistics, a two-way table is a table used to give information about the frequency of two variables. The rows of table are used to give information about one of the variable involved & the columns give information about the other.
This data obtained from the two-way tables helps us to extract or obtain extra information which can help us to answer many related questions and analyse the given problem.
The horizontal lines forming the table constitute the rows & the vertical lines are said to form the columns.
Now, we consider one example.
Let us consider the two- way table giving the information about the number of boys & girls of grade 7 students who play football & cricket. The rows give the frequency i.e. number of students’ gender wise whereas the columns give the frequency i.e. number of students as per the game played by them.
So now we can have the following information from the given table –
- If we take a look on the rows, we have total number of boys in the class as 60. Out of these, 35 play football & 25 play cricket.
Total number of Girls in the class is 40, out of which 17 play football & 23 play cricket.
- If we take a look on the Columns, we have total number of students playing football in the class as 52. Out of these, 35 boys play football & 17 girls play football.
Total number of students playing cricket in the class is 48. Out of these, 25 are boys & 23 are girls.
- Total number of students in the class can be obtained by finding the sum of total number of boys & total number of girls i.e. (60 + 40) = 100.
The same can also be obtained by finding the sum of total number of students playing football & total number of students playing cricket i.e. (52+ 48) =100.
- The number of students playing football is 52, which is more than the number of students playing cricket i.e. Hence, football is preferred over cricket.
- The number of boys playing football is 35 & number of boys playing cricket is 25. Hence boys prefer to play football.
- The number of girls playing football is 17 & number of girls playing cricket is 23. Hence Girls prefer to play cricket over football.
From the above example, we see that the two-way table is a table, whose rows & columns give us information which can be used to answer many other indirect questions & analyse many other dependent things.
Use the information given in two-way tables to answer the questions given below.
- An information regarding the number of persons in a group drinking tea, coffee & cold drinks is collected & presented in the form of a table.
- How many men are in the group?
- How many women are in the group?
- How many persons are there in the group?
- How many persons drink tea?
- How many persons drink coffee?
- How many persons drink cold drinks?
- Which is the most preferred drink: tea, coffee, cold drink?
- Which is the least preferred drink: tea, coffee, cold drink?
- What do most of the men prefer to drink?
- What do most of the women prefer to drink?
- Cold drink
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. eTutorWorld provides the best K-12 Online Tutoring Services so you can learn from the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost.
Be it an exam, class test or a quiz, eTutorWorld’s Math, Science and English tutors are responsible for your academic progress. Meet your personal coach at your convenient day and time to get help for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. All our tutors are graduates and bring with them years of teaching experience to the tutoring lessons.
Our ‘Learning by Design’ methodology makes sure that each student is at the center of the teaching-learning process. All tutoring sessions start with a question to the student ‘What do you want to learn today?’ Hence, tutors diagnose your skills and recognize your requirements before the actual tutoring happens. Post every tutoring session, an individualized worksheet is emailed to the student to assimilate learned concepts. Regular formative assessments are used to evaluate a student’s understanding of the subject.
The state of the art technology used is stable, user friendly and safe. All you need is a computer or a tablet and an internet connection. The easy-to-use web conferencing software requires a one time download, using which the student can talk and chat to the tutor, annotate on an interactive shared whiteboard or even share documents, assignments or worksheets.
All tutoring sessions are recorded and made available for a month so you can review concepts taught.
Email or call our support team with any issues or questions – we are here for you 24X7.
Also, download free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and solve SCAT and SSAT Practice Tests online. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
Thousands have taken the eTutorWorld Advantage – what are you waiting for?
© 2019 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved