Equation of a Line
The equation of a line is a linear relation between two variables x and y, which is satisfied by the coordinates of each & every point on the line and not by any other point.
There are various forms of Equation of a line.
- 2x + 3y + 7 = 0 which can also be written as 2x + 3y = (-7).
- 4x + 3 = 7 where B = 0.
- 3y + 2 = 5 where A = 0.
Point Slope Form
Equation of a line with slope or gradient m and passing through the point (,) is given by
( – ) = ( – )
- Equation of line passing from origin (0, 0) and slope 1 is (y – 0) = (x – 0) or y = x.
- Equation of line passing from (1, 3) and slope 4 is (y – 3) = 4(x – 1) or y – 3 = 4x – 4
Hence the line is given by the equation 4x – y – 1 = 0.
Slope Intercept form
The length of the intercept made by of a line on the Y-axis is called its y-intercept.
Equation of a line with slope or gradient m and making an y intercept of c units is given
by (y – c) = m ( x – 0 )
i.e y=mx + c
- Equation of line with slope, m = & y-intercept c = 7 is y = x + 7.
- Equation of line with slope, m = 11 & y-intercept c = -2 is y = 11x – 2.
- Write the equation of the line 3x = 4y + 7 in general form.
- Convert the equation 3x = 4y + 2 in slope intercept form.
- Find the equation of the line passing from origin (0, 0) and slope 4.
- Find the equation of the line passing from origin (1, 5) and slope -7.
- Find the equation of the line with slope 2 & y-intercept 11.
- Find the equation of the line with slope & y-intercept -5.
- 3x – 4y – 7 = 0.
- Y = x –
- y = 4x
- 7x + y – 12 = 0.
- y = 2x + 11
- y = x – 5 or 3x – 7y – 35=0.
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. Come to eTutorWorld for Expert Tutors and best K-12 Online Tutoring Services in the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost. Find a tutor online for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. Get free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and SCAT Practice Tests. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
© 2018 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved