Word Problems on Negative Number Addition and Subtraction
We have already discussed integer addition and subtractionon https://www.etutorworld.com/integer-addition-subtraction.html. Now we’ll discuss word problems on negative number addition and subtraction.
Example: A city has a temperature -16°F in the morning. If the temperature rises by 5°F in the afternoon, what is the temperature in the afternoon?
Temperature in the morning = -16°F
When temperature rises by 5°F in the afternoon, then temperature in afternoon = -16°F + 5°F = -11°F
Example: Ronnie swam 75 feet below the surface of a river. He then climbs up 39 feet. What is his depth from the surface of river now?
When Ronnie swam 75 feet below the surface of a river, his depth = -75 feet
Then he climbs 39 feet, so Ronnie’s depth now = -75 + 39 = -36 feet
- A submarine was situated at 600 feet below sea level. If it descends 200 feet, then what is the new position of the submarine?
- Daisy scored 600 points in the first half of trivia game. If she lost 700 points in the second half, then what is her present score?
- An air pilot took off the plane from 1300 feet above sea level. If the plane descended 600 feet, what is the elevation of the plane now?
- If the temperature was -5°C on Monday and -7°C on Tuesday, then what is the change in temperature from Monday to Tuesday?
- In 753 BC, Rome is founded by Romulus. In 509 BC Rome expels the last of its 7 kings and starts a republic. After how many years of its foundation, Rome started a republic?
- -800 feet
- -100 points
- 700 feet
- 244 years
Download/Solve a Worksheet for Word Problems on Negative Number Addition and Subtraction