Word Problems on Negative Number Addition and Subtraction
We have already discussed integer addition and subtractionon https://www.etutorworld.com/integer-addition-subtraction.html. Now we’ll discuss word problems on negative number addition and subtraction.
Example: A city has a temperature -16°F in the morning. If the temperature rises by 5°F in the afternoon, what is the temperature in the afternoon?
Temperature in the morning = -16°F
When temperature rises by 5°F in the afternoon, then temperature in afternoon = -16°F + 5°F = -11°F
Example: Ronnie swam 75 feet below the surface of a river. He then climbs up 39 feet. What is his depth from the surface of river now?
When Ronnie swam 75 feet below the surface of a river, his depth = -75 feet
Then he climbs 39 feet, so Ronnie’s depth now = -75 + 39 = -36 feet
- A submarine was situated at 600 feet below sea level. If it descends 200 feet, then what is the new position of the submarine?
- Daisy scored 600 points in the first half of trivia game. If she lost 700 points in the second half, then what is her present score?
- An air pilot took off the plane from 1300 feet above sea level. If the plane descended 600 feet, what is the elevation of the plane now?
- If the temperature was -5°C on Monday and -7°C on Tuesday, then what is the change in temperature from Monday to Tuesday?
- In 753 BC, Rome is founded by Romulus. In 509 BC Rome expels the last of its 7 kings and starts a republic. After how many years of its foundation, Rome started a republic?
- -800 feet
- -100 points
- 700 feet
- 244 years
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. Come to eTutorWorld for Expert Tutors and best K-12 Online Tutoring Services in the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost. Find a tutor online for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. Get free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and SCAT Practice Tests. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
© 2018 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved