Word Problems on Multiplying and Dividing Negative Numbers
What are the rules for multiplying integers?
How do you divide negative numbers?
Now let us discuss some word problems on this.
Example: Daisy joined a gym 8 weeks ago and she lost kg every week. Write an equation that describes the above situation.
Since Daisy lost kg every week, so the equation which describes the above situation =
– × 8 = -4 kg, which means she lost 4 kgs in 8 weeks.
Example: If temperature changed at a rate of -3°C per hour, then after how many hours did the temperature reached -12°C?
Number of hours for the temperature to reach from -3°C to -12°C = = 4 hours
- John dives from the surface of water at a rate of 2 feet per second. Where will he be from the surface of water after 30 seconds?
- If a football team’s 2 plays resulted in a loss of 5 yards, then what integer represents the total number of yards they lost in 2 plays?
- If the cost of one share of a company declined a total of $30 in 5 days, then what integer represents the cost of one share by which it declined on an average per day?
- A daily soap opera lost a total of 5,000 viewers in the last 5 months. If it lost the same number of viewers in each month, then write an equation to represent the number of viewers lost in one month.
- If the height of an old person decreased by a total of 1 cm in 5 years and it decreased by the same amount each year, then what integer represents his change in height every year?
- -60 feet
- -10 yards
- -6 dollars
- = -1000
- -0.2 cm
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. Come to eTutorWorld for Expert Tutors and best K-12 Online Tutoring Services in the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost. Find a tutor online for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. Get free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and SCAT Practice Tests. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
© 2018 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved