Triangle Inequality Theorem
The sum any two sides in a triangle is always greater than the third side of triangle.
If one side is longer than the sum of other two sides as shown below, then it is not a triangle.
See the example below:
In the above case, AD + BC = 18 + 9 = 27 units, which is less than side AB of length 30 units. Here since one side AB is longer, so the other two sides, AD and BC don’t meet.
In the above triangle, following holds true:
b + c > a
a + b > c
a + c > b
Example: What is the possible range for x?
According to Triangle Inequality Theorem, the sum any two sides in a triangle is always greater than the third side of triangle.
So, the three inequalities for the above triangle are:
- (7 – x) + 7 > 3x => 14 – x > 3x => 14 > 4x => x =>x <
- 3x + (7 – x) > 7 => 2x + 7 > 7 => 2x > 0 => x > 0
- 3x + 7 > 7 – x => 4x > 0 => x > 0
Combining the three inequalities, we get the possible range as 0 < x <
- Can the numbers 4, 5, 10 be the sides of a triangle?
- If 13 and 8 are the two sides of a triangle, then what is the possible range for the third side?
- Do the side lengths, 8, 11, and 16 form a triangle?
- If 3 + 2x, 7 – x and 2x are the sides of a triangle, then what is the possible range for x?
- If 10 and 15 are the two sides of a triangle, then what is the possible range for the third side?
- 5 < x < 21
- < x < 10
- 5 < x < 25
Download/Solve a Worksheet for Triangle Inequality Theorem
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. Come to eTutorWorld for Expert Tutors and best K-12 Online Tutoring Services in the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost. Find a tutor online for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. Get free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and SCAT Practice Tests. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
© 2018 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved