Rate Problems with Fractions
Here we are going to discuss how we compare two fractions. We solve rate problems by equating two ratios and then solving them for the unknown variable. See the example below.
Example: Donna stitches of a cushion cover in hour. If she stitches at the same speed, how many cushion covers would she be able to stitch in 4 hours?
Let us assume that Donna can stitch x cushion covers in 4 hours.
Example: If Joshua ate sandwiches in minutes, then how many sandwiches did he ate per minute?
Let us assume that Joshua ate N sandwiches per minute.
Then : N = : 1
÷ N = ÷ 1 => × =
= N = sandwich
- A chocolate cake recipe needs cup cocoa powder for cup flour. If Nancy uses 3 cups of flour, then how many cups of cocoa powder would she need?
- If miles of thread is used to stitch boxes of trousers, then how many miles of thread is needed to stitch 9 boxes of such trousers?
- If teaspoon of chocolate syrup is needed to make cup of coffee mocha, then how many teaspoons of chocolate syrup would be needed to make cups of coffee mocha?
- If tablespoons of olive oil is needed to make cups of oats, then how many tablespoons of olive oil would be needed to make 3 cups of oats?
- Angel jogs of a mile in hr. How much distance would she cover in 1 hour?
- = cups
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. Come to eTutorWorld for Expert Tutors and best K-12 Online Tutoring Services in the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost. Find a tutor online for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. Get free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and SCAT Practice Tests. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
© 2018 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved