Evaluating Algebraic expressions with variables word problems
We can have a good understanding of evaluating expressions with variables with the help of following examples:
Example: The price Regina pays to visit the vet’s clinic is calculated according to the formula 20 + 50n. Here n is the number of times she visits him in a year. This time it was 2. What was the cost of his visit?
Equation here says: 20 + 50n
= 20 + (50.n)
= 20 + (50 × 2)
= 20 + 100
= $120 (Answer)
The expression 10g, tells the number of miles a car can travel using g liters of gasoline.
How far can this car travel on 10 litres of gasoline?
Solution: 10g is the expression
= 10. 10
= 10 ×
= 5 × 21
= 105 miles (Answer)
- The expression is 3f + 23, where f is 10. What is the value of the expression?
- What is the pocket money Hilly receives in a week if she gets 5w + 12, where w is $10?
- Kim runs a food truck. The expression 25s + 2hgives the cost of s sandwiches and h hot dogs. Find the cost of 3 sandwiches and 7 hot chocolates.
- In a School sports day, the number of points the 8th grade team scores is given by 3x + 2y + 1z, xis the red team; y is yellow team, and z is the blue team. What is the total number of points scored by 10th graders when red scores 3 three points, yellow 5 points, and blue 2 points?
- The expression 7w + 200 litres are the water level which drops in a particular reservoir in a day. Calculate the water level if today is the 5th day.
- 21 points
- 235 litres
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. eTutorWorld provides the best K-12 Online Tutoring Services so you can learn from the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost.
Be it an exam, class test or a quiz, eTutorWorld’s Math, Science and English tutors are responsible for your academic progress. Meet your personal coach at your convenient day and time to get help for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. All our tutors are graduates and bring with them years of teaching experience to the tutoring lessons.
Our ‘Learning by Design’ methodology makes sure that each student is at the center of the teaching-learning process. All tutoring sessions start with a question to the student ‘What do you want to learn today?’ Hence, tutors diagnose your skills and recognize your requirements before the actual tutoring happens. Post every tutoring session, an individualized worksheet is emailed to the student to assimilate learned concepts. Regular formative assessments are used to evaluate a student’s understanding of the subject.
The state of the art technology used is stable, user friendly and safe. All you need is a computer or a tablet and an internet connection. The easy-to-use web conferencing software requires a one time download, using which the student can talk and chat to the tutor, annotate on an interactive shared whiteboard or even share documents, assignments or worksheets.
All tutoring sessions are recorded and made available for a month so you can review concepts taught.
Email or call our support team with any issues or questions – we are here for you 24X7.
Also, download free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and solve SCAT and SSAT Practice Tests online. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
Thousands have taken the eTutorWorld Advantage – what are you waiting for?
© 2019 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved