Evaluating Algebraic expressions with variables word problems
How do you evaluate the expression?
To evaluate an expression, we substitute the value for each variable, and then apply the operations.
Example: Evaluate 2(5y + 10) for y = 8.
We put y = 8 in 2(5y + 10), we get
2(5y + 10) = 2[5(8) + 10] = 2[40 + 10] = 2 = 2 × 50 = 100 (Answer)
Example: The price Regina pays to visit the vet’s clinic is calculated according to the formula 20 + 50n. Here n is the number of times she visits him in a year. This time it was 2. What was the cost of his visit?
Equation here says: 20 + 50n
= 20 + (50.n)
= 20 + (50 × 2)
= 20 + 100
= $120 (Answer)
The expression 10g, tells the number of miles a car can travel using g liters of gasoline.
How far can this car travel on 10 litres of gasoline?
Solution: 10g is the expression
= 10. 10
= 10 ×
= 5 × 21
= 105 miles (Answer)
- The expression is 3f + 23, where f is 10. What is the value of the expression?
- What is the pocket money Hilly receives in a week if she gets 5w + 12, where w is $10?
- Kim runs a food truck. The expression 25s + 2hgives the cost of s sandwiches and h hot dogs. Find the cost of 3 sandwiches and 7 hot chocolates.
- In a School sports day, the number of points the 8th grade team scores is given by 3x + 2y + 1z, xis the red team; y is yellow team, and z is the blue team. What is the total number of points scored by 10th graders when red scores 3 three points, yellow 5 points, and blue 2 points?
- The expression 7w + 200 litres are the water level which drops in a particular reservoir in a day. Calculate the water level if today is the 5th day.
- 21 points
- 235 litres
Give Your Child The eTutorWorld Advantage
Research has proven that personal online tutoring not just cements school learning, it helps build student confidence. Come to eTutorWorld for Expert Tutors and best K-12 Online Tutoring Services in the comfort and safety of your home at an affordable cost. Find a tutor online for Grade 3-12 Math, Science and English subjects and AP, SAT, SSAT and SCAT Test Prep help and test practice. Get free printable math and science worksheets in pdf format and SCAT Practice Tests. Sign up for a Free Trial Lesson Today!
© 2018 eTutorWorld - Online Tutoring and Test Prep | All rights reserved