A teacher plays a crucial role in a student’s life. A tutor is the one who provides knowledge and helps students to succeed in their lives. A teacher is rightly called ‘A Friend, Philosopher and a Guide of the student’.
English is a language that needs to be taught with utmost proficiency and aptness. An English tutor must possess certain qualities in order to make students learn better.
- Knowledgeable: An English tutor has distinct areas to deal with such as reading, writing, listening, vocabulary and grammar. So, a deep knowledge and understanding of the language is a necessity. Basically, you need to be an expert of your subject.
- Ever positive attitude: A positive attitude is what matters the most when it comes to a student –teacher relationship. A teacher should always be positive in his attitude and never take any aspect adversely.
- Make learning fun: English is a language that can be taught with fun and excitement. Therefore, an English tutor is required to be lively, interactive and cheerful so as to make the classes interesting and enjoyable for students. Teach students how to play around with words in English. Make them exhibit their talent and hold discussions to evoke the creativity of the students.
- Ability to motivate: Motivation, as we all know, is indispensable to let the students going. So, an English tutor must have the ability to motivate his students in everything they do – be it trying to speak English, learn grammar or upscale their vocabulary.
- Real-life examples: Sounds great! English, if taught in the context of real life, would be really interesting and captivating for students. An English tutor should adopt a teaching methodology that makes use of examples from real life. For instance, ask students to write on any special moment of their lives or may be just make them speak on their favorite TV show. It would inculcate interest in students and make them keen to participate. Get creative, engage them as much as you can and make your teaching practical and relatable.
- Visual aids: Pictorial presentations of any concept makes learning fascinating and simpler. When we see something, it stays in our memory for a longer time than if we just hear about it. As it has been rightly said ‘A picture is worth a thousand words.’ That’s why an English tutor should use visual aids such as colorful worksheets, mind maps and charts.
- Flexible: An English tutor should be flexible enough in his teaching methodology. He must be aware of the constant changes the language goes through and adopt new and innovative teaching methodology. Show your will to try your hand at a variety of teaching strategies and choose the one that works best for your students.
To conclude: English is a magnificent language to teach, learn and enjoy.
So, Go on. Have fun!